Genre is a formal-thematic type of text which serves as a basic criteria of discerning particular units and complex pieces. The project distinguishes between three main types of genres (statement, anecdote, and pragmatic advice) and uses it as a starting point for more precise division.
The following genres have been defined in the current versions of the databases:
- anecdote [#anec] - a simple narrative presenting a certain progression of events (in the Hebrew Bible only);
- biblical anecdote [#bib] - a narrative which reiterates or explains a biblical account, most often with the intrusion of some entity to the story (in the Babylonian Talmud only);
- rabbinic anecdote [#rab] - a narrative which concerns the personal rabbinic encounters with the entities (in the Babylonian Talmud only);
- pragmatic advice [#prag] - covers all the down-to-earth details concerning the relationships between humans and entities and boils down to the specific dos and don’ts;
- statement [#stat] - presents some general traits of a given entity and although the examples can be quite complex in terms of their contents and involve a detailed visual description or a flamboyant simile, they take a form of simple statements or assertions.
UnitUnit is an isolated part of text which is coherent with regard to its genre and at the same time remains as large as possible to accommodate this coherence. One such textual unit occupies one verse in the database and is the basic unit of measurement.
PiecePiece is a thematically coherent fragment composed of two or more units. In the database the units constituting a piece are marked in a hue of blue.
A database may indicate the genres specific for a given corpus.
- #dream - a relation or interpretation of a dream.
- #law - a juridical portion of text.
- #narrative - a historical or para-historical narrative, of individual or collective significance.
- #poetry - a poetical portion of text, with an emphasis on its esthetical dimension.
- #prophecy - a prophecy usually provided in a form of a vision.
- #wisdom - a piece of sapiential text.